Monday, June 25, 2007

Pay day

Finally, the long and determined basic endurance training is starting to pay off. Big time. The final build-up to the Maribor WC has been focused on long DYN/DNF attempts on every opportunity I've had.
First on 11.6. I dove 111m DNF extremely easily and was able to conserve my technique throughout the entire dive. Then we had our national team's 'dress rehearsal' diving camp at a local sport institution on 16.-17.6. where I pulled off easy 154 DYN twice and easy 105m DNF despite the fact that our coach Jyri intentionally built us some inconveniences to simulate competition stress. Finally I managed to overcome the long-lasting anxiety to perform well in a 50m pool last Wednesday as I dove easy 157m DYN even though I had done perhaps the hardest running exercise of the spring only the day before.
I've been completely OK after each and every one of these dives, and this has given me enormous confidence to know that I can do 150+ DYN and 100+ DNF whenever I want even with poor preparation, insufficient recovery, non-existent concentration and with little pushing. I've felt some lactic acids starting to build up after 140m DYN, and I've accelerated to 4-5 hand strokes per 25m after 75m in DNF, but I've been completely in control of all these actions: after the dive reflex kicks in the additional work only builds muscle lactic acids, and the levels generated by these dives is far below the levels I'm used to in my endurance exercises.

Now, off to slowly cool down the training rhythm and begin concentrating for the Maribor WC. Looks like I'll be able to convince myself to aim for the next wall in both dynamic disciplines...

No comments: